Common Problems with Asphalt Shingle Roof and How to Fix Them
Asphalt shingle roof is a popular type of roofing material because they are affordable and durable. However, they can also be prone to certain problems, such as leaks, missing shingles, and wind damage. Asphalt shingle roof should be inspected regularly to ensure that they are in good condition and can continue to protect your home from the elements. This type of roofing material can also be repaired or replaced if necessary. If you have an asphalt shingle roof, it is important to be aware of the potential problems that can occur and how to fix them.
Asphalt shingle roofs are one of the most popular roofing materials in North America. They are affordable, durable and easy to install. But, like all roofing materials, they are not indestructible and can develop problems over time. Here are some common asphalt shingle roof problems and how to fix them.
- Leaking: Leaks can occur for a number of reasons, such as missing shingles, damaged flashing or improper installation. If you suspect your roof is leaking, it’s important to have it inspected by a professional as soon as possible. Depending on the severity of the leak, repairs or replacement may be necessary.
- Missing Shingles: This can be caused by high winds, severe weather or normal wear and tear. If you notice any missing shingles, it’s important to have them replaced as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your roof.
- Wind Damage: High winds can cause damage to asphalt shingle roofs, such as lifted or missing shingles. If your roof has been damaged by wind, it’s important to have it inspected by a professional and repaired or replaced if necessary.
- Algae Growth: Algae can cause black streaks on your roof, which can be unsightly. While algae growth is not harmful to your roof, it can be removed by a professional. This is typically done through a power washing or chemical treatment.
- Cracked Shingles: Cracked shingles can occur due to age, severe weather or impact. If you notice any cracked shingles on your roof, it’s important to have them replaced as soon as possible.
- Loose Granules: Asphalt shingles are coated with granules that can become loose over time. While this is not a serious problem, it can be unsightly. You can usually brush the loose granules off of your roof with a broom.
- Sun Damage: The sun can cause the asphalt in your shingles to deteriorate, which can shorten the lifespan of your roof. To prevent this, you can install a roofing material that is specially designed to reflect the sun’s rays.
Regular maintenance and inspection are key to keeping your asphalt shingle roof in good condition. If you have an asphalt shingle roof, it’s important to be aware of the potential problems that can occur. If you notice any problems, it’s important to have them fixed as soon as possible. By taking care of your roof, you can help ensure that it will continue to protect your home for years to come.